Suzanne Smith, Ph.D.
Phone: (360) 546-9714
Fax: (360) 546-9076
Located in McClaskey (VMCB) 201
- I am currently conducting qualitative research on the Hutterites to determine parenting and family relationship patterns. This research involves quality and quantity time in the field, living with participants.
- Secondarily I am involved in a multi-state longitudinal project assessing the effects of poverty on the health and family relationships of women and children in rural areas. This is a mixed methods study to take place over a five year period. Data will also be compared to the previous wave of this project which completed in 2009.
- Smith, S.R. (2008). "Social change among the Hutterites: Romantic love and child rearing. The Hutterite Journal.
- Smith, S.R., & Hammond, R. (2012). Exploring Family Theories. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Smith, S.R., & Ingoldsby, B. (2009). The role of discipline in Hutterite child rearing. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal.
- Ingoldsby, B., & Smith, S.R. (2005). Public school teachers perspectives on the contemporary Hutterite family. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 36 (2), 249-265.
- Smith, S.R., & Ingoldsby, B. (2005). Courtship and moral reasoning of Hutterian youth. Communal Societies, 25, 113-126.
- Ph.D. - 1996 - Child and Family Development - The University Of Georgia
- M.S. - 1992 - Family and Child Development - Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- B.A. - 1990 - Behavioral Science - Erskine College